Monday, October 4, 2010

My first 3D shoot... sort of

First, to explain the title, this is the first time I have been behind the camera for a 3D shoot, the other one I just acted in. Although I guess even that isn't right because over the summer I also did a brief interview test thing for T351 in which I was behind the camera, but I did so little that I don't think it really counts.

So anyway, yesterday we shot The Warehouse which I directed. The shoot went well, but was rushed. This was most of our first times dealing with a 3D shoot and everything took much longer than we expected. So we didn't get all the shots we originally planned but we did get some really nice stuff. We got to use the jib with the 3D rig too, which was awesome. we had to balance it out with 80 pounds on the end and it took three of us all operating the jib to get the shot. But overall it was a good shoot. I think all of us worked pretty well together, and the actors were great and really cool about how long we took with everything. Nikki did a great job of keeping us all on task and tried to keep us moving as quickly as possible. Chelsey did a really nice job on camera and got us some beautiful shots. Anthony was great on sound. I'm excited to see how Gesi does on the editing and Joe was a tremendously helpful PA. It was also really nice having Chris there to make sure we didn't screw things up to much. I think we gave him a scare once or twice but I don't think we broke anything, or at least I hope so.

I think in future productions I'm going to have to work on limiting my number of shots. 3D just takes so much longer to do everything, that its impossible to expect to get too many shots in one day of shooting. I really like how certain things look in 3D though. Also the parallel rig was a lot easier to make adjustments with than I thought it would be. It was so quick and easy to change the interaxial distance that I no longer feel as limited by 3D as I was worried I would be. As long as you are careful with each shot and bring a tape measure, its really easy to do just about anything you might want to. Just don't expect to do too much in one day.

Well I guess thats about it. I think there are some pictures from the shoot on facebook, so you can have a look at those if you want. Oh yeah and this is my production blog. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment