Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Assassin Critique

This blog is my T436 critique of my final scene fragment, The Assassin which can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsF4_ca2Zf0. This by far was my most satisfying scene fragment. I think it all came together quite nicely with some really nice shots in between. I shall start with the things I liked best and then move into my criticisms. The most beautiful thing about this, in my opinion are the lighting effects. I didn't use a light a kit for this so I had to just do the best with the location that I was in. Luckily I was able to recognize that certain shots would look really good with the given lighting. I as able to get the reflection of the sun in my close up of Chelsey's face in such a way that it gives both characters a mystical glow about them. Also the final shot where Chelsey's body is lying on the ground looks really nice with the strip of light coming in. I also think I had some very nicely composed shots. I really like the early shot where Luke's foot enters the frame and I really like the shot through the leaves. I thought about racking focus from the leaves to the characters but I decided that leaving them out of focus would nicely preserve the mystery of the characters.

The main problem I have with my short is that the two times I rack focus, its very subtle. The space I was in was a bit more limiting than I had hoped it would be and I didn't have much space to allow me to zoom in enough to get very vivid differences in the focus. You can tell that there is a rack focus when Luke's foot enters and when Luke exits the last shot but really almost only if you're looking for it. I think that given the benefits I got from the lighting in this space however, I still made the right decision in choosing to shoot here. Another issue I have is audio related. I apparently didn't pick up Chelsey's one line as well as I thought I did so it's very quiet. I wish I would have been able to recognize this and pick this up better, but considering this was mainly an exercise in cinematography I am ok with a slight audio issue.

Overall I think this is my best scene fragment yet, and I am definitely happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment